ANR Programme 2009-2012
|A Joint Programme on Justice and Governance in India and South Asia
(Hosted by Centre for Himalayan Studies)
mail:pratiksha.baxi (at) googlemail.com ---> personal page
Ph.D. (Sociology) – Awarded in March 2005 Department of Sociology, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi.Thesis: The Social and Juridical Framework of Rape in India: Case Studies in Gujarat.
Assistant Professor, Centre for the Study of Law and Governance, Jawaharlal Nehru University [New Delhi].
- British Academy Visiting Fellowship, Diasporic Legalities: The Discourse of “Crimes of Honour” in UK and India, May 20th – 15th July 2006, Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick.
- Visiting Fellowship, Department of Anthropology, Johns Hopkins University 2000-1.
- Junior Research Fellowship of University Grants Commission, 1993-2000.
- Prof. M.S.A. Rao Gold Medal, University of Delhi, 1993 (For methodology paper).
Teaching and Research Experience:
- Visiting Fellow, Centre for the Study of Law and Governance, Jawaharlal Nehru University (July 2005-December 2005). Research project entitled, “Till honour does us apart”: Legislating Women’s Right to Marry. Taught the sociology of law component of the legal dimensions of Governance course.
- Honorary Research Fellow, “Legacies of the Common Law: Testifying to Violence against Women”, South Asian Research Network on Gender, Law and Governance, University of Warwick, (September 2004 - July 2005).
- Principal Researcher, “Jurisprudence of the Riot”, IDPAD Project entitled ‘Mapping City Spaces: Communal Violence, Social Reconciliation and Documentary Practices of the State’, Institute of Socio-Economic Research on Development and Democracy, Delhi (January 2004 – February 2005).
- Lecturer at the Department of Sociology, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi (August – December 2003).
- Research Associate, Centre for Women’s Development Studies, New Delhi (1st October 2002 - 16th January 2003).
- Senior Research Fellow, UNIFEM Project entitled From Violence to Supportive Practice: Family, Gender and Masculinities in India, Department of Sociology, University of Delhi (October 2001 to March 2002).
- Research Fellow, Research Project on laws on maintenance, property rights for women, rape and sexual harassment, Institute of Economic Growth, (May – July 1999).
- Baxi, Pratiksha with Uma Chakravarti, Suman Bisht and Janaki Abraham. 2008. Reclaiming Spaces: Gender Politics on a University Campus. In Radhika Coomaraswamy and Nimanthi Perera-Rajasingham [eds] Constellations of Violence: Feminist Interventions in South Asia. Women Unlimited, Delhi.
- Baxi, Pratiksha, Shirin M. Rai and Shaheen Sardar Ali. 2008. Legacies of Common Law: “Crimes of Honour” in India and Pakistan in Andrea Cornwall and Maxine Molyneux (ed) The Politics of Rights: Dilemmas for Feminist Praxis. London and New York: Routledge.
- Baxi, Pratiksha. 2007. Adjudicating the Riot: Communal Violence, Crowds and Public Tranquility. Domains (Special Issue), edited by Deepak Mehta, Volume 3: 70-105.
- Baxi, Pratiksha. 2006. Habeas Corpus in the Realm of Love: Litigating Marriages of Choice in India. Australian Feminist Law Journal, 25:59-78.
- Baxi, Pratiksha, Shirin M. Rai and Shaheen Sardar Ali. 2006. Legacies of Common Law: “Crimes of Honour” in India and Pakistan. Third World Quarterly, Special Issue on “Politics of rights-based development: Feminist Perspectives”, Guest Editors: Andrea Cornwall and Maxine Molyneux. Vol. 27, No. 7, 1239-1253.
- Baxi, Pratiksha. 2005. Medicalisation of Consent and Falsity: The Figure of the Habituated Woman in the Indian Rape Law in Kalpana Kannabiran (ed) The Violence of Normal Times: Essays on Women's Lived Realities. New Delhi: Women Unlimited [in association with Kali for Women].
- Baxi, Pratiksha. 2001. Sexual Harassment. Seminar. 505: 54-59.
- Baxi, Pratiksha. 2000. Rape, Retribution, State: On Whose Bodies? Economic and Political Weekly, XXXV, 14: 1196-1200